Challenging Status Quo

Sounds like a fun thing to do. And many of us would even do it, IF (a big one at it) someone has already done it. Ready to follow, but never ready to take the lead. I admit it, I am one of you, waiting for something to happen. Rather thinking of doing something, than doing anything at all.If you are wondering why did I turn out to be conscious about the society, weird as it may seem, it is because of Rang De Basanti.

This is what happened while returning home after watching RDB. Knowing better than what I was saying, I still asked my friend "Do you think the movie might have inspired anyone?" and his answer was something that I already knew, but still made me think about other stuff related to that. He said "Repu snanam chesentha varaku untundi ra, snanam chesinappudu aa muriki tho patu ee feeling kooda neellatho kalisi drainage lo kalisi pothundi.!" (for those who dont know telugu, he said "Till they take bath tomorrow. and when they do take a bath, goes down the drain with the water..".)

Simply put, A new day, A new thought process. We forget the goals that we do set for ourselves the previous day and live out our lives in the present. I might seem like a fool quoting the example of a movie inspiring anyone, But it is only a metaphor of things that are happening today. Hmm.. lemme rephrase that. This is what is and has been happening in INDIA right from pre-independance days. Just look at the martyrs who gave their lives to change the fate of our country. But can one believe that it was only 15 years or more after the death of Bhagat singh that we actually got our freedom. If it took so long for us to quantify the dreams of our martyrs, what can one expect of a simple film?.

Another example of the present day attitude towards challenging the status quo was evident when an ex-student from the IIM lucknow (manjunath) was killed for doing his job. A movie might show students reacting agressively when 4 students are killed by the government,for committing a "crime". but what about this guy who did nothing wrong.It is true that a few voices were heard , most of them from his peers and their related institutions.But what has been done to ensure that this kind of incident will never happen again ?

Its not like I am perfect and I am preaching something that must be done to save our country. But I do question things that I dont like to do. I only wish I was more courageous to do something more than what I am doing right now. On retrospect, We need not be courageous, but doing the right thing, rather than doing the correct thing can be enough.

Older generations were ok with it, Let us not be the same.

Comments

rohini said…
thot provoking indeed!!
i guess wot is said is totally true!

We want sumthin to happen..We need a break frm thez stinkin politics!!
We need sumthin to be done nd we r waitin for dat sumone to scavenge the rot..But heroes r not born..heroes r made!!

high time we realised it!!
've been goin thru the same thot process oflate..
I feel frustrated wit mah helplessness!!I feel disgusted at the fact dat i ain't a real go-getter!!I feel Outraged to kno dat i can't do anythin except constant cribbing nd complanin abt the present state!!
Anonymous said…
I'd do something, but me have more of personal things to achieve first, when i get independent maybe I would so something.
freak-y said…
@sashank
took the words out of my words..


@ronie
better not be disgusted so soon yaar, afterall at 20, we arent actually oldies. got time, just have to see what we have to do with it
Kk said…
I seriously think we need more ppl who think like u in our politics. No sarcasm meant at all. I heard 4m some guy i know., the system is perfect., the ppl in the system are the one's who need to b changed.
Nice post...and the phenomenon you mentioned is not entirely wasteful...each new day brings a new perception to our thought process.

Our braim constantly redifines our goals and needs according to the environment. When i saw the movie "Bhagat Singh" I was immensely inspired, if someone had asked me to give my life for the nation at that time, i most probably would have. But the next morning i was back to my old self.

If the instensity of our emotions (anger, love, hatred) never decreased do yu think we would able to keep our sanity?

Popular posts from this blog

silent tears...

True Love??!!

Terror in our lives.